Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Delicious PB and J

My goodness I am thoroughly enjoying the new Peter Bjorn and John album, Seaside Rock. It's mostly instrumental, except for when old Swedish people come on and talk. It sounds like I'm listening to a Swedish book on tape, and that's oddly comforting in some weird way. The fact that I enjoy it makes me feel like I'd be the kind of person who would enjoy Bergman films (I am not, but I wish I were. But I'm glad that I can pretentiously reference Bergman.) Actually, of the spoken word songs one actively annoys me, and that's where an old lady speaks on Norrlands Riviera. I can't get through it.

One song in particular, School of Kraut, rocks my world. It's the best walking down the street song. I feel like I'm some sort of Seventies swinging Swedish person (oh how I wish I really were) and I walk with longer strides and a bounce in my step, randomly high five-ing strangers. Actually a lot of songs make me think that the 70's in Sweden must've just been the bees knees, like Needles and Pins (I have no evidence that these songs are influenced by the 70's or anything, it's just what it makes me think of). It's just happy making and that's what PB and J do best. Yeah, they're long haired indie rockers, but I think they escape being precious and annoying and make really amazing songs. They're better than a lot of bands, but they keep it light, Barcelona in particular is a really beautiful song. Anyway, I thought that I'd be put off by the instrumental spoken word aspect, but let me tell you, friend, this is a great album and from now on whenever I want to punch my cat in the face to let out my anger at this effing election, I'll put this on.

No comments: