Monday, October 27, 2008

The 'Herst

I had to get out of NYC for a couple of days and relax in CT, maybe because my block is teeming with CMJ hipsters morning, noon and night and the unwashed masses were just getting to me. Is it over yet? Please let it be over. Anyway, I decided to drive up to Amherst for the day to write, because Amherst rules. It's beautiful and collegiate and people are still unwashed but in a different way. I'm writing in the science library, where I used to "study" with my friends Tim and Dan. All we basically did was quote South Park and try to master Timmy's lines (the kid in the wheelchair). We got it down to "Rar deer bawz." And we'd just sort of say that back and forth. Then Timmy and Dan would smoke, as Tim puts it, "quad hourly." College.

I'm also listening to two songs on repeat from the new Orkkevil River album, The Stand Ins.
The songs are "Lost Coastlines" and "Singer Songwriter"

Also, I'd like to mention that the Pioneer Valley is home to my favorite radio station of all time, WRNX (Amherst, Northampton, Springfield). I can't explain it, just happy music and cool DJ's (I think Rachel Maddow used to work there) and local commercial spots that are charming and hockey and somehow old-timey. Fly By Night Mattresses stands out. 100.9. So good.

1 comment:

Pat D Sez said...

Starry Stairs is really gonna grow on you and Pop Lie which you're not supposed to sing along with, but you will.